It has been far too long since I’ve written a blog post… Where have the last two months gone?! Safe to say I’ve been super busy, but it is wedding season so only to be expected. I wanted to do a few quick-fire blog posts with some top wedding planning tips, starting with wedding dress shopping.
I’ve touched on this subject before in more than one blog post, but instead of going through a whole load of info I thought I’d quickly put my top tips in one post. Easy to read and easy to refer back to if you need to!
Wedding Dress Shopping Top Tips
So, here we go…
- Keep an open mind. It’s really good to have an idea of what you want in your head, but don’t be so sure you’ll go for exactly what you think you will. Keep an open mind!
- Trust, listen to, and take advice from the bridal stylists. It’s their job, they do it every day, and (unless they’re terribly useless) they know what they are talking about. Having worked in bridal fashion, I know first hand how much you learn from even just a couple of years of working with wedding dresses, let alone some stylists who have been doing it 5, 10, 20 years! Unless you think it’s just a sales pitch (avoid those types of shops like the plague), the bridal stylists will genuinely want the best dress for you/your shape/your personality etc. So listen to them!
- Don’t take many people with you. Seriously, don’t. I know the temptation to take every single one of your friends with you, or all the female family members you have, but trust me when I say you will not enjoy it. Take one or two trusted people with you, who you know will be honest & constructive, but also genuinely elated for you. And if you have some friends you want to include, just do a few more appointments with them instead! You can’t focus with too many people, and everyone will want to have an opinion – you’ll just get confused! (Plus, it’s really annoying from the shop’s point of view…).
- Research the shop/designers first. Just because you’ve heard a shop is good, it doesn’t mean it’s the one for you. I made the mistake of going to a couple of shops where I hadn’t done my research properly and genuinely hated most of the dresses. It’s a waste of your time and a waste of theirs, too!
- Enjoy it. This is the only time you’re ever going to get to do this, so just enjoy it! Take your time, and don’t make any decisions without knowing they’re definitely the right ones to be making. Try to relax and not feel the pressure, because it is a very daunting thing. Oh, and bubbles help too!
More Top Tips!
I hope you enjoyed a very brief overview of my top tips for wedding dress shopping. Next up will be some top tips for bridesmaid dress shopping… And if you want to read more on this subject, check out these posts below: